The Power of a Grateful Heart
“Thankfulness incarnates faith in the sovereign goodness of God.” Maybe the most powerful quote I read all week. From Mark Buchanan’s Spiritual Rhythm.
I have been impressed recently by the theme of the goodness of God and how good it is to be in the presence of God in many (most?) of the Psalms. A quick scan searching for the word good ends up with the following:
- “I say to the LORD, “You are my Lord; I have no good apart from you.”” (Psalms 16:2 ESV)
- “Good and upright is the LORD; therefore he instructs sinners in the way.” (Psalms 25:8 ESV)
- “Oh, taste and see that the LORD is good! Blessed is the man who takes refuge in him!” (Psalms 34:8 ESV)
- “I will thank you forever, because you have done it. I will wait for your name, for it is good, in the presence of the godly.”(Psalms 52:9 ESV)
- “With a freewill offering I will sacrifice to you; I will give thanks to your name, O LORD, for it is good.” (Psalms 54:6 ESV)
- “Psa. 69:16 Answer me, O LORD, for your steadfast love is good; according to your abundant mercy, turn to me.
- Psa. 73:1 Truly God is good to Israel, to those who are pure in heart.
- Psa. 73:28 But for me it is good to be near God; I have made the Lord GOD my refuge, that I may tell of all your works.
- Psa. 84:11 For the LORD God is a sun and shield; the LORD bestows favor and honor. No good thing does he withhold from those who walk uprightly.
- Psa. 85:12 Yes, the LORD will give what is good, and our land will yield its increase.
- Psa. 86:5 For you, O Lord, are good and forgiving, abounding in steadfast love to all who call upon you.”
“Psa. 100:5 For the LORD is good; his steadfast love endures forever, and his faithfulness to all generations.
- Psa. 103:5 who satisfies you with good so that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s.
- Psa. 104:28 When you give it to them, they gather it up; when you open your hand, they are filled with good things.
- Psa. 106:1 Praise the LORD! Oh give thanks to the LORD, for he is good, for his steadfast love endures forever!
- Psa. 107:1 Oh give thanks to the LORD, for he is good, for his steadfast love endures forever!
- Psa. 107:9 For he satisfies the longing soul, and the hungry soul he fills with good things.”
- “But you, O GOD my Lord, deal on my behalf for your name’s sake; because your steadfast love is good, deliver me!” (Psalms 109:21 ESV)
- “Oh give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; for his steadfast love endures forever!” (Psalms 118:1 ESV)
- “You are good and do good; teach me your statutes.” (Psalms 119:68 ESV)
- “Psa. 135:3 Praise the LORD, for the LORD is good; sing to his name, for it is pleasant!
- Psa. 136:1 Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good, for his steadfast love endures forever.
- Psa. 143:10 Teach me to do your will, for you are my God! Let your good Spirit lead me on level ground!
- Psa. 145:9 The LORD is good to all, and his mercy is over all that he has made.”
It is one thing to be impressed and know that God is good but as Buchanan says, we demonstrate our faith (incarnate in his words), our belief in God’s sovereign goodness, (might I add only) when we are thankful.
For what good things are you thankful today?