When we are dangerously thirsty, we are vulnerable to any number of soul numbing temptations.
For what do we/I thirst?
What stimulates thirst?
Where do I go or what do I do when nothing quenches my thirst?
- Bury myself in work
- Distract myself with television/movies/internet/books
- Exhaust myself with exercise
- Stimulate myself with any number of adrenalin inducing activities
- Feel good about myself by helping others
- Forget about myself by sleeping
- Others—beauty, friendships, music, worship activity
Jesus said that our thirst can be quenched:
- “If anyone is thirsty, let him come to me and drink. . . Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water” John 7:37.
- “I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me shall not hunger and whoever believes in me shall never thirst John” 6:35.
- “Where freedom is near, the chains begin to hurt.” Jurgen Moltmann
- “When we unashamedly preach true, holy and God honoring pleasure, the sordidness of sin, the foolishness of spiritual rebellion and the agony of addictions become shockingly apparent.” Gary Thomas
- “Hope in God for I shall again praise him, my salvation and my God.” Psalm 42
Question: How or why do we allow ourselves to get so thirsty that we are willing to drink poisoned water to quench our thirst?”